Sunday, October 17, 2010

notion

So, now that we know that everyone wants to make an impact, it's a hard reality to face when we know that that not all of us will. Because what if we want so much to make a difference and to know that when we die we want people at our funeral to say "my life would have turned out differently without you" but we don't know what we are passionate about, and we don't know what makes us so special as to change the world?

Yesterday I went to see my friends play and it was fantastic. For the four weeks before-hand I heard constant negative things about it from my friend who was in it, but I was sitting in my seat in awe of what I was watching. Not only because the play was incredibly good and the actors were amazing in it, but because you can tell that the people on stage are doing something that they absolutely love to do. At 14-17 years old, these people on stage have a passion that they aren't afraid to showcase to their audience. And I was jealous.

I was jealous that they have such certainty in something, and, while I don't doubt that they are still teenagers and trying to "find themselves," they aren't completely dehabilitated from trying things out and searching for that passion like I am.

I left right after the play ended because I became an emotional wreck in the matter of 10 minutes. I suddenly felt this sense of incredible insignificance. There are 6 billion+ people in the world, and we all want to achieve greatness. So what makes me so special?

0 comments: