Saturday, October 30, 2010

teacher fear


creature fear- bon iver


I've decided that having a good teacher can make a student's school year so much better than if they had sucky teachers. Obviously, this isn't too profound, but I was thinking about this the other day. I've had a few really great teachers in my school career and those years stand out to me specifically. However, my sophomore year, I didn't have any teachers that I looked forward to going to their class, which made me think not highly of 10th grade.

I wish not-so-good teachers would realize that the mere fact that they aren't inspiring/motiviating/engaging, is going to most likely make or break the child's interest in the subject they teach. I can honestly say that the reason I like English and History so much is because I don't think I've had one bad teacher who taught those subjects. When a teacher obviously is just so enraptured by the subject they teach, I think that's the best. They get so excited! One of my math teachers just seemed like he didn't want to be there, and that he'd much rather be somewhere else. So i'm like, why are you here? You have the choice of so many professions, so if you don't want to be here, then why? I don't really want to be here either, but I still try and be as upbeat and optimistic as I can.

And then there are those teachers who are almost like life-coaches. They've done so much in their lives that they aren't just there teaching you history/english/math/science, but they are also teaching you things that can be applicable for the rest of your life. They recognize what you are passionate about, and they know YOU, which I think is aweseome. Those teachers are the kind of people where you're like "you are absolutely awesome let's be best friends" and where guy friends say "yeah dude, he's totally chill. that teacher's the kind of person I'd like to have a beer with" and then I'm like "oh my god shut up you're 16."

So maybe I'll put teacher in my list of things I might want to be when I grow up. Because I think every teenager/child/young adult/pre-schooler should have a teacher that makes them feel motivated and excited to be learning. I don't think a teacher's job is to JUST teach you things so that you get a good grade on the final. That is a vital part, don't get me wrong, but there's more to life than grades, and what will stick with you from highschool is not the A you got on your English final, but the wisdom and knowledge you gained from that one awesome teacher you were lucky to have.

0 comments: